Three (3) class sessions
- Have taken or are
Teacher Preparation & Supplies Needed:
- Bar magnets & iron filings for each individual or team of students
- Magnet, power supply, thin and thick magnet wire, stands to hold the coil,
thread, wires with alligator clips, graph paper
- Matched sets of bar magnets for experimentation of stored energy
- Rubber bands, binder clips, markers, scissors for each team of
2 students to understand the concept of reconnection
Study Guide and Work Sheets:
- Observe and sketch the magnetic fields produced by
bar magnets and iron filings to understand the concept
of magnetic fields.
- Determine the relationship between magnetic force and current by
building a small electromagnet and measuring its strength
under various currents.
- Understand the concept that magnetic fields can store energy by
forcing two similar magnets together and watching them repel
- Experiment with rubber bands, simulating magnetic fields,
to see what happens when magnetic fields are distorted, broken,
High school students who have taken or are taking pre-calculus,
although it can be adapted to younger students by eliminating
some of the calculations
Relationship to National Standards:
- Magnetic Fields
- Magnetic Force
- Stored Energy in Magnetic Fields
- Magnetism on the Sun
- Further Exploration
Links to definitions and explanations are included with the activity.
Bibliography is included with the activity.