What do I Need to set up a SID Monitor? - Space Weather Monitors
What do I Need to set up a SID Monitor?
If you are interested in setting up a SID monitor at your high school or community
college, you will need the following:
- Access to power
- A SID monitor from Stanford,
plus instructions on how to install it
- A PC with the following minimal specifications:
Serial port -or- USB port + USB-to-serial adapter
Ethernet port -or- means to transfer data manually*
(This may not be optional)
Standard keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
CPU: Sufficient to run windows.
MS Windows (Windows 98 or up)
Excel -or- an equivalent data plotting tool
An internet browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.)
- An inexpensive antenna that you build yourself (see
- A location that is relatively free of electric interference;
could be indoors or out
- An internet connection is helpful, but not necessary
to run the monitor
- To check your monitor, it might be useful to have
access to information about when sunrise and sunset
are for your location. Sometimes the newspapers give
these. Or, you can use a
sunrise sunset calculator or you can observe
and time them for yourself!