Duration of Activity:
Varies with grade level, but will take multiple class periods.
Varies according the grade. Details are given in the Study Guides.
Detailed in the Study Guides.
Study Guide and Work Sheets:
- Students will understand that the Sun gives us more than just
rays from the visible light spectrum, that the Sun gives off light
we can't see -- such as ultraviolet radiation.
- Students will develop an understanding of how to protect their
bodies from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation.
- Students will develop an understanding of how the Earth's atmosphere
(stratosphere and ozone layer) shields the surface of the Earth
from most of the ultraviolet rays that come from the Sun.
- Students will explore/demonstrate the effects of ultraviolet
radiation on objects that react to ultraviolet rays.
- Students will familiarize themselves with the electro-magnetic
spectrum to understand where visible and ultraviolet radiation
fall within it.
activites are available for grades 2-4, 5-8, and 9-12.
to National Standards:
Relationship to the National Science Standards is included in the
Assessment information is included in
the Study Guide.
A glossary is included in the Study
A bibliography is included in the Study Guides.